What Types of Compensation Can I Seek in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?

James Law Office, LLC

If you are injured in an accident and you believe that someone else is at fault, you should sue for compensation. If you are confused about what kinds of compensation you can pursue in a personal injury lawsuit, a Darlington County, South Carolina slip and fall lawyer from our firm can help you.

What Economic Damages Can Be Part of My Compensation?

For most people, economic damages are their main concern when pursuing compensation. They have seen bills pile up and they know that it just is not fair that they should have to pay all of these costs when someone else is to blame for the accident. Your compensation should help you cover costs like:

  • Medical bills
  • The cost of future medical care
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of earning potential
  • Damage to property, like a vehicle

If you have any bills and any evidence of how much you should have been paid while you were missing work due to your injuries, keep all of these documents together. That can make it easier to make your case later.

What Non-Economic Damages Can Be Part of My Compensation?

Your compensation is not complete if it does not also reimburse you for the non-economic costs of your accident. The psychic toll this accident took on you and your loved ones needs to be considered when compensation is calculated. It should help make up for:

  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of enjoyment
  • Pain from disability and disfigurement
  • Loss of companionship or consortium, if a loved one passed away
  • Any other past and future pain and suffering

How Long Do I Have to Pursue Compensation?

Generally, you have three years to pursue compensation after you get injured in an accident. This time can pass by surprisingly quickly as you are recovering from your injuries and trying to return to normalcy though, so having an attorney who can get the legal process started for you can be extremely helpful. You do not want to miss out on your chance to sue for damages.

It is also important to note that you do not have three years to take action if your accident involved a government entity. If you need to sue a party that is affiliated with the government, you have just two years to act.

Do I Need a Personal Injury Attorney?

As we mentioned, a personal injury attorney can get the legal process started for you even as you recover from your injuries. They can also help you by calculating fair compensation, gathering evidence needed to make your case, and defending you from any accusations of wrongdoing. You are not required to hire a lawyer, but one can do a lot to help you strengthen your case and fight for the compensation you deserve.

Talk to Our Legal Team

If you are ready to learn more about your options, contact the James Law Office, LLC. We can set a date for a free case evaluation and tell you more about what kind of compensation you can pursue in a personal injury case.

Visit Us

Darlington Office
54 Public Square

Darlington, SC 29532

CF Image

Get in Touch

Free Consultation (843) 391-9902