Darlington County Car Accident Lawyer

Car accidents are the most common type of auto accident seen on the streets of South Carolina, though this doesn’t make such an accident any less serious for those injured in them. Over the years, the James Law Office, LLC has been a staunch advocate for car accident victims here in the Pee Dee, and we’re prepared to fight for you, every step of the way. Contact a car accident lawyer from our legal team today to learn more about how we can help you fight for the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled.

Car Accident Lawyer | Here for Clients in Darlington County, South Carolina

Injured in a car accident because of someone else’s careless driving? If so, you need dedicated legal representation who has experience fighting for accident victims here in the state of South Carolina. Fortunately, you’re in the right place. Reach out to a seasoned Darlington County, South Carolina auto accident lawyer from our firm for assistance through each phase of your personal injury claim.

Steps To Take After a Car Accident

Most car accidents happen suddenly and with virtually no warning, but as with anything in life, it’s always best to have a plan in place, just in case. After a car accident, it’s paramount that you do two things: 1) seek immediate medical attention and 2) document the accident and how it happened. To best do so, you should try to take the following steps:

  1. Call the police. They will send an ambulance, and, once they arrive, they will write up an accident report.
    Step out of your vehicle, assess the damage to both your car and the other driver’s car, and ask them for their insurance information. It can’t hurt to photograph their license plate as well, in case they attempt to flee the scene. Keep in mind that when dealing with the other party, you should never apologize. Doing so may be misconstrued as an admission of guilt, even if you were only trying to be polite.
  2. Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle, as well as of the other driver’s vehicle. If there was any additional property damaged in the accident, photograph that as well.
  3. Speak with anyone who may have seen your accident and ask them for their name, phone number, and email address. You can also ask them for a written or recorded statement regarding the sequence of events leading up to the accident.
  4. Once you receive medical treatment, either in the hospital or at a doctor’s office, ensure you keep copies of all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
  5. Retain the services of a knowledgeable and experienced South Carolina car accident lawyer who can assess the circumstances of your injury, determine whether you have a valid claim, and fight for the compensation you need to heal.

What Is MedPay?

Many states have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) mandates for motorists. This is not the case in South Carolina. However, this type of coverage may be available as an option in SC and may be referred to as Medical Payment Coverage (or MedPay). Essentially, if you purchase MedPay insurance and you are injured in a car accident (regardless of who caused the accident) you should receive compensation to help you deal with some of the medical bills you’ve incurred due to the accident.

However, you should note that MedPay/PIP may not cover the entire cost of your medical bills, and MedPay would not compensate injured parties for time missed from work after an accident. Therefore, if you were hurt in an accident that was caused by someone else, you may need to pursue a personal injury claim to recover full compensation for your injuries.

What Is Modified Comparative Fault?

Every state has different rules when it comes to comparative or partial negligence in auto accidents. The state of South Carolina observes what’s known as modified comparative fault. Simply put, this means that when a plaintiff is less than 51% at fault for a car accident, the individual can receive compensation, but that compensation will be reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to them. For example, if you sue someone for an accident and injury and it is determined they were 65% at fault for the accident, you will receive 65% of the compensation you would have received, had the other driver been 100% at fault.

Filing Your Car Accident Claim on Time

If you’re looking to sue someone for your injuries, you’ll have to do so within the state’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in South Carolina is, usually, three years, meaning you’ll have three years from the date of your accident to sue. Though it may seem like you have a lot of time, the truth is, it’s always best not to wait and simply file your claim as soon after your accident as you can. The longer you wait, the more difficult it can be to win an injury claim. Witnesses move away and memories fade, so if you’re hurt, you should always act sooner, rather than later.

Contact a Car Accident Lawyer Today

The bottom line is that if you were hurt in a car accident and you need help getting the compensation you deserve and need to get your life back on track, you’re in the right place. Please don’t hesitate to contact a seasoned car accident lawyer from the James Law Office, LLC to schedule your free case evaluation with our dedicated personal injury law firm.

Visit Us

Darlington Office
54 Public Square

Darlington, SC 29532

CF Image

Get in Touch

Free Consultation (843) 391-9902